Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Remembering...

"Song of Spring"
an original oil painting by Bonnie Mason
14x18"     $450


Spring seems to be fading away as I look out the window...

The temps are already in the upper 80's, the grass needs mowing more than once a week, and the cat found the housefinches nesting on my front porch. Sometimes you wish things could just stay the same... but that wouldn't be life. I think one thing I love about painting is that it preserves something that was beautiful- even if just for a few moments- and you can always look back at it and remember.

When I painted these tulips and lilacs I was keenly aware of how quickly things can change. The tulips had moved from their original positions by the time I came back from lunch. Luckily, I had almost finished them before taking a break. I've learned how they turn toward the light from experience and knew I needed to put them in first. Then I painted the lilacs. By the next morning they were mostly wilted. In my rush to arrange them I'd forgotten to pound their stems with a hammer and hadn't quite filled the vase high enough with water. The lilac behind the mauve stemware was still fresh so I was able to capture a view of it and. of course, everything else only changed as the sun's angle changed or clouds obscured its light!!! lol

I love to paint even when it is maddening and hope you enjoyed hearing a little of the story behind this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment