Thursday, November 14, 2013

A First Time for Everything :)


Today was a wonderful day to be outdoors painting! It started out a bit windy and cold but the sun warmed us up pretty quickly. The Double Line Painters obtained permission to paint from the R R Donnelly parking lot area and met there at 10:20 this morning. I decided to use the Zorn palette today. I had always meant to try it out in autumn but also - I was feeling wimpy and didn't relish the thought of  lugging 20 tubes of paint along! The Zorn palette consists of Ivory Black, Cadmium Red Medium, Yellow Ochre and Titanium White. No Blue.


This was the view I painted- after rearranging a few things:)  As you can see, there is a good bit of blue in the scene-although not as much in real life as there appears to be in the photo. Amazingly, when you mix ivory black with white it is blue compared to the other colors. In my sketch below (which took about an hour and 15 minutes) you can see this first attempt at using such a limited palette.


I have a lot to learn about how to use this palette of colors and plan to make a chart this week so as to better understand its possibilities. In my next blog I'll share the chart and any further "experiments".

Hope you have a great weekend! -  Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment